Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Are You Ready?

Now that the race is in just a few days I've been asked the question, "Are you ready?" a lot.  I've thought about this race every day without exception for the past 6 months.  I've worked out more consistently in the last 6 months than I have in my entire life.  Am I ready?  My answer has been, "As ready as I'm going to get."

I've overcome a lot of fears since I started training.  At the beginning of all this the furthest I'd ever run was a 5k.  I'd never even touched a road bike and I'd never swam for fitness sake.  If you've been following you know that my biggest fear has been drowning during the swim leg.  It took a lot of open water swims to overcome that fear, but I'm at the point now that I'm cautious but not afraid.  I never expected that would happen before the race.

But most importantly I've learned a lot about possibilities and setting goals.  If I hadn't signed up for this race I would still be struggling through occasional runs.  You and I are capable of a lot more than we think.  This has made me realize that I'm selling myself short in other areas of my life.  I have settled for what's easy rather than what I can achieve with consistent hard work and pushing myself towards goals that seem unachievable.  The lessons I've learned apply to more than just this race. 

I'm not going to be setting any records this weekend, but I feel ready.  I'm excited to participate in a race that has helped me overcome fears and learn lessons that have changed my outlook on life.  I can't wait for Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have a fabulous time Megan! I'm very proud of all you've accomplished and I know you'll do great! Make sure and give us an update on how it went!

    ReplyDelete